Thursday, August 6, 2009

more long stories/misadventures

I was really looking forward to the past week (the week of August 2nd); the week in which I would not have any heavily time consuming responsibilities because the family that I work for was on vacation. Sure, I had to make sure that their pets survived, but that was no big deal.


..I was also indebted to the fine community of Columbia throughout the months of June and July due to a court sentence for a traffic violation, but last week I completed my 80 HOURS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE (yes, that's right.. but that is ANOTHER STORY.) This meant I no longer had to worry about volunteering.


(I drew this very quick, sloppy sketch at the wonderful municipal court while waiting to turn in my proof that I'd completed my community service hours.)

I had braced myself to do a happy-absolutely-nothing.

... However, due to some craziness this week I ended up moving out of the house that I was staying in and into someplace new with very little planning or notice. Some of my roommates moved out kind of abruptly and the replacement roommate turned out to be a 31 year old guy they'd found on craigslist.

.. I know this was not an intentional act of spite but...
HELLO, KNOCK KNOCK.
I am an 18 year old, female student. It does not matter if this chap seems like a nice fella.... I do not want to live with a 31 year old guy that was found through an online message board.

So my roommate, Amy, and I decided it was time to skeeeeedadddddle.

.... and since I am flakier than an oven- fresh biscuit I thought it'd be best to split before my landlords realized we'd left and skip paying rent.

... but they ended up dropping by while I was in the process of moving out and so eloqunetly informed me that Amy and I will be "SERF-VED" and our credit will be ruined for life and all that tom-foolerly that responsible people worry about.

It was hard to take Gregg, our former landlord, seriously though, especially since he was wearing a shirt that read, "I sold my mind on eBay." His wife Renee attempted to pull a watery-eyed- Oprah moment and acted terribly distraught because Amy and I did not feel comfortable expressing our concerns with her in detail .

... then they told us that we had about 3 hours to move all of our belongings.
... this was not an easy task for two girls, but I extremely grateful for my friend, Kirsten, who let me borrow her pick-up truck to move everything and for my semi-crazy former neighbor, Derek, who helped us lift and load the heavier items.

...but on the bright side, due to our landlord's general slack-ness, I have reason to believe there will not be any serving.

Anyhow, in a very short time frame, Amy and I found somewhere else to live and moved everyyyythang

.. this past week was wacky, and I did not get to spend hours doing absolutely nothing like I wished to (well, actually, I was wanting to attempt to build some furniture out of odds and ends that I'd found and make postcards, but I didn't get to do those things either.)

....and despite the stressfulness, I am so, so glad that my living situation has changed because the other situation had turned into bohemia-gone-sour, even before the arrival of a 31 year old stranger.
I didn't realize how sour it was until I moved into a different, better place.

and, of course, here are s'more pictures:

moving into a new place was mighty expensive, due to that necessary security deposit, so Amy and I ended up treking out to the middle of nowhere to clean the lake home of one my family's acquaintances for some extra cash (this was yet another drawn-out misadventure, but I will spare you that story)
the stickers on her truck may give you some indication of her personality though...

and the lake looked pretty, but to my dismay, it was stagnant and bug infested.




NEW PLACE!

matching dish sets... I feel like a yuppie.

an exciting new luxury that we did not previously have... stocking the fridge was a celebratory event


Goodwill dumpster diving for home goods! (and jumping on piles of old matresses.. waaay fun)


like good Americans, we decided to exercise our 2nd Ammendment right and include a gun rack in our new home
I decorated a trash can for our kitchen...

Amy made this awesome table top from a garage sale mirror and some other crafty stuff we had in the house

... and we colored in this nice dollar tree poster


and life happens to be pretty good, and I can not say that I am ever bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment